Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Is that what you wanted to do?

Something a little bit funny happened to me yesterday, and I had totally forgotten that it had happened until this morning when I remembered to tell Brad about it....

Yesterday afternoon, I was seeing my 1 oclock patient. It was right after lunch and I had forgotten to put my "work" shoes back on (those are a pair of plain black flats that I keep at work because I wear flip flops in and out of work and in between patients).
He noticed my flip flops and said something to the effect of "oh, you have your sandals on, are you going to the beach?"

It took me by surprise for a couple of reasons: 1) I have forgotten to change my shoes before and the patients have never made a comment, or probably even noticed! and 2) I felt TERRIBLE for wearing open toed shoes in a clinic setting.

I digress....I replied "No sir, not headed to the beach any time soon, I just got back actually"

To which he stated, "Well, did you have fun?"

(Here is where it got strange....)

I said, "We had a great time. I actually got engaged while we were down there."

AND HIS RESPONSE WAS...."You got engaged? Is that what you wanted to do?"

(Pause for a moment for impact)

WHO SAYS THAT?!?!!?!!? Most people say things like "congratulations"....or "when is the wedding".....not "is that what you wanted to do?"

I would have been LESS offended/shocked if he had said "Congratulations....marriage is a bitch"....or something to that effect....LOL

I guess people have differing views of marriage, and unfortunately, I have noticed a pattern in marriage with my different aged patients.....the 70 and 80 year olds still love their wives (or they have been trained to act like it) and the 50 and 60 year olds are usually divorced and on to a second wife (which is fine, I am not here to judge...my parents are divorced).

It just boils down to a difference in generations....(my patient was 55 years old)

That is all I have on that story...

Wedding updates....my videographer is free on October 16th....so I am hoping to make a deposit soon and get him scheduled away for that day!!!

Hopefully meeting with a photographer soon to talk with her about pricing and see some of her other work....and then get her scheduled away!!!!

I CANT WAIT....381 days to go!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Wow...he just laid it all out on the table didn't he. I have always wondered if older people were always as happy as they said they were or if back then there just wasn't anything better to do? hum? Hope your having a great day! = )

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's hilarious! I SURE hope that's what you wanted to do! Because it sure did happen that way! Glad I was there to witness it!

    ReplyDelete