Thursday, March 12, 2009

And they are off....




For those of you that know me...i love the horse races...I go as much as humanly possible between the months of January and April...and I DO NOT miss the derby.


I was afraid that with living in Memphis my horse racing days would be over...on the contrary, I think I have made it more this season that any other...lol


This coming weekend is no exception...Bradley, Kyle (Brad's roomate) and I will be loading up the car and heading down to beautiful Hot Springs, AR for some pony racing, beer (wine for me please) drinking and fun times with friends. I think the Verdell's, Horne's, and some others will be joining us down there later in the day!

In theme with the topic of my blog...I will include some horse racing terms, just for your educational benefit!!!

Basics: Each of these is a $2 dollar bet for each placement you bet on.
Win: You pick the winning horse
Place: You pick the horse that comes in first or second
Show: You pick the horse that comes in first, second or third.
If you bet a horse to win, place or show (aka "Across the Board") it will be a $6 minimum bet.

Exotic Wagers: Also $2 minimum
Daily Double: You pick the winner of two consecutive races.
Exacta: You pick the first two horses to cross the finish line in exact order in a single race. Exacta Box: You pick the first two horses to cross the finish line in either order in a single race. Trifecta: You pick the first three horses to cross the finish line in exact order in a single race.
Trifecta Box: You pick the first three horses to cross the finish line in any order in a single race.

Now...my knowledge of racing (or lack there of...lol) does not depict my type of betting...I am a basic kind of girl...

"#3 to win, place, show"....and usually I have picked the horse by his or her name...lol...

In the past...some of the "name" picks that have won me $$$ have been names like "Conner" (The Buie's dog)....and "Miss Maci" (The Verdell's dog)....Brad and I also bet on ANY military named horse "Seargent so and so" "Private whatever" etc....

Well, that is all I have on horse racing information...lol

2 comments:

  1. It is great to see you doing so well Whit. Keep in touch,
    I am working out and trying to diet myself. Got any good tips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I don't think the Buies will make the races this weekend. Besides I hear it's going to be another cold one. Buie has to work and I will be packing and placing my own bets of when we get to move into our new home! :) Ya'll have fun!

    ReplyDelete